Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day three at the Riga school


We had another fantastic day in Riga.

I led an English class with a discussion of our school and the reasons why I am visiting.

The students are interested in our sports program and seemed concerned that the lads are able to enjoy the weekends. I shared with the students the video created by your fellow classmates. I also participated in the 10th grade English class discussion on Sports!

I also visited a History of Culture class studying Baroque and Classicism; wouldn't you know, I caught a student cheating! You know I gave the lad a "teacher look" (no translation needed) and he handed me the cheat sheet.

I also stopped in to a Chemistry class preparing for a lab on water quality.

I also enjoyed a Music class where I found Soviet era radio sets!

After lunch, I met with teachers from other Riga schools and they learned about the Civic Voices International Democracy Memory Bank Project (www.civicvoices.org).

I was happy to share with them the student activities and the collection of video interviews with civic activists from many countries. (Imagine, we forgot to take photos!)

Tomorrow, we travel to Valmiera to meet more teachers, and I look forward to seeing more of Latvia's countryside...more photos are sure to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment