Monday, April 11, 2011

First day at the school in Riga


Can you identify the titles of these books?

Inga and I walked to her school this morning, and I was happy that the winds of yesterday had diminished. As we approached the front of the school, I was greeted by the Red, White and Blue of the American Flag gracing the facade of the school accompanying the Maroon and White of the Latvian Flag.

The school has about 800 students in grades 5-12, and the decor scheme relies on bright blues, red and green, with rainbow-hued window shades. I spent the morning with Inga's two English classes, and I shared with them information about Columbus.
We viewed the video co-created by three members of CCNN, and a few of the students asked some questions. They were mostly reserved and reluctant to ask questions - at least today. That may change over the next week since I will be joining the classes each day.

Later today, I will meet with a teacher of Geography who has researched the Holocaust and the History of Jews in Latvia while Inga attends meetings as she also serves as one of the assistant principals.

Enjoy today's photos, more later! Labdien... Greetings to Columbus from the students in Riga:

And in English!

I also enjoyed the Choir practice as they performed a few tunes. Latvians enjoy a long history and deep appreciation of Song and Dance:

No comments:

Post a Comment